Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) John Mutwa, born on 23 September 1960 at Mahundu Zambezi Region, is the current Chief of the Defence Force since 2013.
Prior to his appointment he occupied the following positions:
- 2011-2013 :Army Commander (Maj Gen)
- 2006-2011 :Chief Of Staff Logistics, Defence Headquarters (Brig Gen)
- 2004-2005 :Defence Attaché in Republic of Angola (Col)
- 1998-2003 :Chief Of Staff Army Personnel and Logistics (Col)
- 1999-2000 :Chief Of Staff SADC Allied Forces in the DRC
- 2000 :Commissioner at Joint Military Commission on DRC
- 1996-1998 :Army Chief Of Staff (Col)
- 1994-1995 :Commanding Officer Logistic Support Battalion (Lt Col)
- 1990-1994 :Assistant Director Military Intelligence at MOD (Lt Col)
- 1980-1989 :Regional Chief of Reconnaissance, People’s Liberation Army of Namibia – PLAN (Eastern and Northern Fronts)
- 1979-1980 :Regional Staff Officer Administration – PLAN (Eastern Front)
He joined the armed struggle for the liberation of Namibia in 1975 under the umbrella of SWAPO Military Wing (PLAN) in the Republic of Zambia. In 1976, he received military training in Kongwa, Tanzania. He completed Officer Cadet Course in the United Republic of Tanzania 1978.
Lt Gen Mutwa attended the Party School in the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republic (USSR) from 1981 to 1982. He did Intelligence and Counter Intelligence Course in former Yugoslavia in 1987.
In 1991, he completed an Intelligence and Security Course in the UK. He completed the Command and Staff Course in the United States of America from 1993 to 1994.
In 1995, he successfully completed a Logistics Officers Course in the United Kingdom. He also completed the Advance Military Law Course in 1997 with South African National Defence Force - Directorate Legal Service at University of Namibia. In 1997, he completed the Presiding and Prosecutor’s Course at the University of Namibia, as well as Defence Management Course in South Africa. In 1998 to 1999, he also completed the National Security Strategy at the South African National Defence College. Lt Gen Mutwa, attended the High Commander’s Peace Support Operation Course in 2001, South Africa.
General Mutwa is decorated with Campaign Medal, Ten Years of Service Medal and Commendation Medal.
The Chief of the Defence Force (CDF) provides a link between the political leadership and the armed forces. The CDF is the highest ranking military officer who is vested with the constitutional powers for the effective management, command and control of the Namibian Defence Force.
The Chief of the Defence Force is responsible under the terms of the Constitution for the military effectiveness of the Defence Force. His/her responsibilities are further defined in the Defence Act of 2002.
Lt Gen John Mutwa